Friday 28 July 2017

A Winter Afternoon in East Gippsland

A Winter Afternoon in East Gippsland

Lately I have been unable to get out birding, so I haven't had any new blog posts coming out. However, I was able to do a bit of birding on Saturday, 22 July, so I headed down to Eagle Point for a look.

The first place I headed for was Eagle Point Reserve. The reserve is located off Rivermouth Rd, which comes off Forge Creek Rd.

Eagle Point Reserve - Google Maps

Eagle Point Reserve - Google Maps

I arrived at the Eagle Point Reserve around lunch time, and started at Gate 4. The bird-life was quite prolific, with Grey Fantail, Golden Whistler, Eastern Yellow Robin, Black-Faced Cuckoo Shrike and Silvereye. ( eBird Checklist )

A nest

Male Golden Whistler

After walking though the Reserve, I headed to The Cut.  The Cut is one of my favorite birding places, and as usual, it did not disappoint.  There were a number of Red Kneed Dotterals, Australasian Shoveler, thousands of Coots and hundreds of Black Swans.

Great Egret

Red Kneed Dotteral


Eagle Point Reserve and The Cut are both great places for birding. They are less than 25 minutes apart and cover a good range of species.

No comments:

Post a Comment